before a word that begins with a consonant.
- I'd like a (can/bottle of) coke,
before a word that begins with 'u' when the 'u' is pronounced like
the 'you' in 'youth.'
- An inch is a unit of
before most words beginning with 'h.' EXCEPTIONS: 'hour,' 'honest,'
- An honest person is a happy person.
before a word that begins with a vowel sound.
- I'd like an orange juice,
before the words 'hour,' 'honest,' 'heir' where the 'h' is not
pronounced (see above).
- I will return in half an hour.
Don't use a
nouns like water, milk, money, etc.
- I always have (some) money in my
pocket when I go out.
(*A non-count noun is a noun that we don't normally count. We don't
normally say: "I have three moneys.")